The Special Enrollment Period for enrolling in Qualified Health Plans has been extended through June 15, 2020. Individuals can enroll between May 16 and June 15, and their coverage will begin June 1, or July 1. Our customer care advocates can assist with any questions on the special enrollment period.
Recent meetings with several brokers, employer groups, and members of our Commercial, Safety Net and Individual Market teams, have helped to enable informed decision-making on behalf of employees during this challenging time. If your organization is facing possible layoffs, please contact your broker or account manager to schedule a meeting so we can help.
There are affordable, high-quality options available to members beyond COBRA. Families and individuals can enroll in free or low-cost health insurance plans—including plans available through Excellus BCBS.
- The Essential Plan, at $0 or $20 a month
- Qualified Health Plans, with premium tax credits for those who qualify
- Medicare plans for those working past age 65
- Other free or low-cost plans for individuals and children
Three things to keep in mind:
- If an employee is losing group coverage, they have 60 days from the end of the Federal State of Emergency to enroll in alternative group coverage or COBRA.
- Alternatively, if an employee is losing group coverage, and their income and household size exceeds the limit for Medicaid or the Essential Plan, they have 60 days to enroll in a Qualified Health Plan on the individual market. If their income and household size make them eligible for Medicaid or the Essential Plan, they can enroll on the marketplace exchange at any time.
- If a Medicare eligible employee is losing group coverage, they have until the end of the year to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan.
Our toolkit can also help guide you through the options you may have for your employees.