According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), physical activity is one of the best things people can do for their health, both physical and mental. Not only does physical activity help people immediately feel better, function better, and sleep better, it is vital for healthy aging. It also helps reduce anxiety and improves mental health.
Despite all the benefits of physical activity, only half of adults get the recommended amount of exercise, and about a quarter of adults report being physically inactive outside of work. An estimated 110,000 deaths per year could be prevented if adults 40 and older were more active. And not getting enough physical activity costs $117 billion in annual health care costs.
Download these resources to help support being more active in the workplace:
- Be More Active Resources (ZIP) which includes:
- Exercise Flyer
- Get Physical Flyer
- Take a Hike Flyer
- Walking Tips Video
- Working Out at Home Video
- "Plank Challenge" Toolkit (ZIP)
- Run a "Plank Challenge" with employees
Here are some additional resources:
- Excellus BCBS, Health & Wellness: Fitness
- Blue365, health and wellness discounts: Blue365Deals.com
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC): Physical Activity
- World Health Organization (WHO): Physical Activity